The History of Invisalign
The world of orthodontics has come a long way in recent years. As orthodontists, we haven’t always had so many orthodontic treatment options to offer, especially Invisalign. Invisalign is a relatively new orthodontic appliance that has re-shaped the way we straighten teeth and offer orthodontic care. At Utah Orthodontic Care, we strive to provide an orthodontic solution for every patient. Invisalign has allowed us to reach a greater patient population because of its inconspicuous look and successful results. If it wasn’t for Invisalign, more people throughout the state of Utah would suffer with orthodontic problems.
Brief History of Invisalign & Clear Braces
Invisalign was introduced to orthodontics in the late ‘90s. Prior to 1997, traditional metal braces were one of the only options patients could choose for their orthodontics. The history of Invisalign followed this basic timeline:
- 1997 – Two Stanford University students, Zia Chishti and Kelsey Wirth, started a company called Align Technology.
- 1998 – Chishti and Wirth received permission from the University of the Pacific School of Dentistry to perform patient studies.
- 1998 – Invisalign was approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
- 2001 – 75% of all orthodontists in North America had been trained to offer the Invisalign system.
- 2004 – More than 175,000 patients were using Invisalign, more than double the previous two years.
- 2005 – Invisalign Express was introduced, which uses just 10 clear aligners.
- 2007 – iTero 3D digital scanners were introduced to make Invisalign aligner imagining and treatment plans even easier for orthodontists.
- 2009 – 2010 – Various improvements were made to Invisalign.
- 2013 – SmartTrack is introduced to the Invisalign system, making clear aligners even more comfortable to wear.
- 2017 – More than 4 million patients had used Invisalign.
- 2020 – Utah Orthodontic Care continues to provide Invisalign and clear braces to patients throughout Utah.
Schedule Your Appointment for Invisalign with Utah Orthodontic Care!
If you are interested in Invisalign and affordable braces, contact Utah Orthodontic Care. Our orthodontists and staff will provide comprehensive orthodontic care for your unique case. Schedule your first Invisalign consultation today!