The Difference Between Orthodontic Care & Dental Care
At Utah Orthodontic Care, we frequently receive questions about the differences between orthodontic care and dental care. For most patients, it all seems like teeth. However, orthodontic care and orthodontists vary quite a bit from dental care and dentists. It’s important to distinguish the difference and understand why you need to see one doctor in certain situations and not the other doctor. Always feel free to contact Utah Orthodontic Care for questions about affordable braces and Invisalign.
What do Dentists do?
Dentists are primarily involved in oral health conditions and can treat your teeth, gums, tongue, and mouth. Dentist typically provide the following care:
- Fill cavities
- Conduct and analyze dental X-rays
- Extract teeth when necessary
- Repair or replace cracked or broken teeth
- Promote and educate oral health and good oral hygiene
- Treat gum disease like gingivitis
- Perform teeth whitening procedures
- Install dental crowns or veneers
- Fill and bond teeth
- Prescribe medication and prescription drugs when necessary for oral health conditions
You should see your dentist every six months for a normal cleaning and checkup. Dentists constantly monitor and evaluate their patients’ teeth for changes and abnormalities.
What do Orthodontists do?
The main difference between an orthodontist and a dentist is the fact that every orthodontist is a dentist, but not every dentist is an orthodontist. It comes down to a little extra schooling. Orthodontists have a speciality in tooth and jaw alignment that dentists do not have. Because of this, orthodontists can do the following:
- Supervise and monitor facial growth in children which includes the jaw and bite
- Diagnose and treat misaligned teeth and jaws
- Create orthodontic treatment plans that include braces and Invisalign
- Install orthodontic appliances like braces, palate expanders, and headgear
The orthodontists at Utah Orthodontic Care can provide you with affordable braces or Invisalign to give you the straight, beautiful smile you’ve always dreamed of.
Schedule Your First Appointment with Utah Orthodontic Care!
If you are interested in orthodontics for yourself or your family, contact Utah Orthodontic Care. We provide affordable braces and Invisalign to patients throughout the state of Utah. Schedule your first orthodontic consultation with our easy online form! We can’t wait to hear from you!