Best Way To Brush With Braces
Undergoing orthodontic treatment requires a lot of attention and responsibility from the patient, particularly when brushing your teeth. Utah Orthodontic Care wants to give you an easy step-by-step process to brushing your teeth that you can follow every day. This will ensure that your orthodontic treatment stays on track, you get the most out of your braces, and your oral hygiene does not suffer. It is our goal to keep your teeth, mouth, and gums as healthy as they can be, even while adding affordable braces to the mix.
Step-by-Step Process to Brushing with Braces
Brushing with braces can be a little different than normal brushing. For most patients, it is an adjustment. Utah Orthodontic Care is confident you’ll get the hang of it with our orthodontists’ step-by-step guide to brushing with braces. The basic principles of brushing are the same, you just need to be sure you have reached every surface of your teeth, brackets, and wires.
- Rinse your toothbrush and apply an appropriate amount of toothpaste.
- In order to reach your gums, teeth, and braces, position your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle to your gums first, then to the tops and bottoms of your brackets.
- For every surface, gently move your toothbrush in short, circular motions over your teeth and braces.
- Be mindful to reach the fronts, backs, and chewing surfaces of every tooth.
- Your total brushing time should be at least two minutes. Our orthodontists recommend brushing each quadrant of your mouth for a minimum of 30 seconds.
- At the end of your brushing, scrub and brush your tongue to remove any bacteria that may cause bad breath.
- At least once per day, you should floss your teeth to ensure all food particles, bacteria, and plaque are removed from your teeth and braces.
- Once you have finished brushing and flossing, we recommend one final rinse with either water or mouthwash.
If you have questions or concerns about brushing and flossing with braces, please do not hesitate to ask our team at Utah Orthodontic Care. We understand that it is an adjustment and we are here to help you through the process.
Schedule Your Next Orthodontic Appointment with Utah Orthodontic Care!
Please contact Utah Orthodontic Care for kids braces and braces for adults. Our team will be happy to walk you through our various orthodontic options and answer any initial questions you may have. Additionally, we pride ourselves on offering affordable braces and flexible orthodontic payment plans to fit any budget. Schedule your first consultation with one of our expert orthodontists today! We look forward to seeing you soon!